Picture Day, Pizza Day, heatwave...we survived it all. The highlight of the week was our American Road Trip Reading Challenge kick-off. Check out this video the teachers put together for the students here. You don't want to miss it! Big shout out to Ms. D'Amico, for directing/producing, Mrs. Altieri for conceptualizing, Mr. Malloy for the vocals, and the many staff members who contributed.
I invite you to join me for a "Second Cup of Coffee with the Principal" on Wednesday, October 4th. Two sessions will be run, from 2:00-3:00 P.M. and 7:00-8:00 P.M. The afternoon session will be held in the art room and the evening session in the Jaguar Jungle. Some timely topics will be discussed, including volunteerism and field trips. Ms. Michelle, D'Amico, our new STEAM teacher, will also be present to update you on the program.
In education, we often speak of the "whole child." It's a term that refers to all aspects of development including academic, social, emotional, physical growth, as well as providing well-rounded opportunities for self-expression and exploration, all while meeting the students at individual levels. It's a tall order! Students must be ready to learn, feel safe, and interested in the environment around them. Along with that environment comes stress and pressure, that can result in anxiety. Children today regularly experience these feelings and often do not possess healthy habits of mind to manage them. As adults, we can recognize our own personal strengths/weaknesses and make concerted efforts to grow and evolve. As parents, and I speak for myself too, we often shield our children from disappointment or over-advocate for them, instead of teaching them skills to navigate difficult situations. In the school setting, we often witness students struggle with competition, humility, and peer interaction, including conflict resolution. I'm so pleased the PTO is hosting Camen Vasto, MA, LPC, ACS to facilitate a parent discussion regarding these topics. I highly recommend you attend this event on October 12th at 7:30 P.M. in the Jaguar Jungle regardless of gender, age, or adaptability of your child. He will also touch upon social media, bullying, and peer socialization. You can learn more about Carmen in the PTO section of this email and by visiting his website at https://www.vastocounseling.com/. The presentation is for parents only.
October is a busy month for the Guidance Department and many initiatives are in place to support the whole child. The State of New Jersey has designated the first week in October, "Respect Week." It was developed in conjunction with the HIB law and is a week utilized to teach character education at an age appropriate level and promote an inclusive and safe environment for all students. We have many educational opportunities planned for the students in the classrooms and on a school-wide basis. The PTO is sponsoring a Wear the Cape assembly. For more information visit http://www.wearthecapekids.com/. A spirit week is also planned for next week, so please check the attached calendar for daily themes,which will also be announced daily over the loudspeaker and in classrooms. Please see the attached letters from Ms. Erica Tavaglione, School Guidance Counselor, regarding these initiatives. We will also be recognizing "Safety Week," a national and state movement, later in the month. More information regarding these activities will follow in an upcoming update.
Madison Music & Arts:
Madison Music & Arts (MMA) needs your help. Our fall membership drive provides the basis for grant activity through the year. Our parent group funds all schools, and supports both curricular and extra-curricular activities. Membership in MMA is only $20 per year and that money is spread throughout the district.Over the last six years, Madison Music & Arts has given over $100,000 to the arts in our district. To learn more about how MMA supports the Madison School District, click here.
- MMA funds curricular and extracurricular activities in all schools.
- MMA has recently advocated on behalf of the elementary school musicals, participation in music festivals, and art murals.
Here is the link to our membership form:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdTAx5_fNrBZGssPvRkxKvRIPMcQNINXap_6H4qkaysXM-o6w/viewform
Coffee with the Principal: Wednesday, October 4th, 2:00-3:00 P.M. and 7:00-8:00 P.M.
D.E.A.R.: Friday, October 6th, 8:00 A.M., Jaguar Jungle, see PTO reminders
Early Dismissal: Monday, October 9th, 12:45 P.M. Pizza served if ordered through PTO. AM Kindergarten, 8:40 - 10:30; PM Kindergarten, 10:40 - 12:45
Carmen Vasto, Parent Presentation, sponsored by PTO: Thursday, October 12th, 7:30 - 9:00 P.M., Jaguar Jungle, parents only
Board of Education Meeting: Tuesday, October 17th, MHS Media Center, 7:30 P.M.
Two Hour Delayed Opening: Thursday, October 26th, regular lunch served. AM Kindergarten 10:40 - 12:30; PM Kindergarten 1:25 - 3:15 P.M.
PTO Mini-Mudder: Friday, October 27th
Halloween Parade: Tuesday, October 31st, 2:15 P.M. More information to follow as the date draws closer.
- Please join the PTO for DEAR on Friday, October 6 at 8:00am in the Jaguar Jungle. This is a wonderful opportunity to Drop Everything and Read with your Torey J kids!! Arrive at 8 am with a few books, grab a cup of coffee and read with your little one. Students will go directly to class at 8:30. We hope to see you there!
- On October 12, at 7:30 pm in the Jaguar Jungle, the TJS PTO presents What is Anxiety?, a presentation by Carmen Vasto, licensed professional counselor. Carmen will talk about what anxiety is and how it applies to elementary school-aged children. Topics that will be discussed include the impact of social media on anxiety, bullying, and peer socialization. Parents will learn ways to talk to their children about common stressors and warning signs to look for regarding anxiety in children. In addition, they have an opportunity to participate in a question and answer portion at the end of the presentation. This is a parent only presentation.
- Sign up for the Mini-Mudder happening on October 27th, after school! Click here for registration form and details
- Volunteers are still needed for lunch/recess duty. Please sign up here.
- The TJS PTO Facebook page is here!! “Like” and “Follow” it on Facebook!