AP PHYSICS 2 TOPICS AND SUBTOPICS
Unit 1 – Fluid statics and dynamics.
- Hydrostatic Pressure
- Pascal’s Principle
- Flow rate and continuity
- Bernoulli’s principle and equation
Unit 2 – Thermodynamics: Laws of thermodynamics, ideal gases, and kinetic theory.
- Temperature and thermal equilibrium
- Kinetic theory of solids, thermal expansion of solids.
- Specific heat and
- Conduction, convection, radiation.
- Ideal gas Law, Boyle/Charles/Guy-Lussac combined gas Laws.
- Kinetic theory of gases, statistics of molecular speeds and kinetic energies.
- First Law of thermodynamics
- PV diagrams and thermodynamic processes
- Entropy and the second Law of thermodynamics
- Heat engines, Carnot cycle and efficiency.
Unit 3 - Electrostatics: electric force, electric field, and electric potential.
- Charge, conservation of charge, quantization of charge.
- Conductors, dielectrics, and electrostatics.
- Coulomb’s Law
- Electric Field: the force exerted by an E-field and sources of E-field.
- Electric field vector diagrams.
- Electric potential and electric potential difference.
- Electric potential energy (between charges or due to an electric potential)
- Parallel plates
- Relationship between E-field and E-potential
- Electric Potential Isoline diagrams
Unit 4 – DC circuits and RC circuits (steady state-only)
- Meaning of voltage, electric current, resistance, and power.
- Relationships between voltage, electric current, resistance, and power (Ohm’s Law).
- Resistivity and resistor building.
- Series, parallel and mixed circuits.
- Kirchhoff’s Laws.
- Qualitative light bulb circuits.
- Ammeters and voltmeters.
- Capacitors: Charge, voltage and capacitance.
- Capacitance building.
- Series and parallel capacitor combinations.
- Capacitors in circuits: initial and steady-state behavior.
Unit 5 – Magnetism and electromagnetic induction.
- Magnetic force on moving charges and electric current carrying wires.
- Magnetic field created by bar magnets and solenoids.
- Magnetic field created by a straight wire.
- Interactions between two wires.
- Ferromagnetism, Diamagnetism, and magnetic domains
- Electromagnetic induction
- Magnetic Flux
- Faraday’s Law and Lenz’s Law
- Motional EMF
Unit 6 – Geometric and physical optics.
- Snell’s Law and total internal reflection.
- Reflection and plane mirrors.
- Curved mirrors and image forming.
- Lenses and image forming.
- Diffraction, single slit, two slit, and diffraction grating interference.
- Thin film interference
- Light as an electromagnetic wave
- Polarization of light
Unit 7 – Quantum Physics, atomic, and nuclear physics
- Relativity of time, length, mass and the speed of light.
- Mass-energy equivalence.
- Photoelectric effect.
- Photon model of light.
- Atomic Energy levels and spectra.
- Wave-particle duality and quantum wave functions (including statistical interpretation).
- Structure of the nucleus
- Binding energy, and mass defect.
- Nuclear reactions, conservation of charge and mass number.
- Fission and fusion.
- Radioactive decay types.
- Half-life and decay rate (including statistical interpretation)
- Fundamental forces.
- Fundamental particles.