Reading WorkshopThere are a variety of components to our Reading Workshop program. Students participate in some, or all, of these components on a daily basis. Together, these components form a balanced literacy program with an emphasis on word work and reading strategies.
The components are:
1. Word Work - Students work independently or in partners on word sorts or other activities to develop phonics, spelling, and vocabulary skills.
2. Read Aloud - During the read aloud, the teacher demonstrates reading strategies for both decoding and comprehension.
3. Independent Reading - Students read independently in order to practice teacher demonstrated reading strategies, as well as fluency.
4. Reading Groups - Students work in small teacher-instructed groups on targeted reading skills. These skills are based on student needs.
5. Centers - Students review previously taught skills in independent academic activities while the teacher is working with reading groups.
There are 7 units of study:
Launching & Building Good Reading Habits
Mystery Book Clubs
Close Reading Of Text Sets Across Genre
Content Area Reading