Hand Strengthening Activities
Megan K. Petersen, MS OTR
Strengthening/Fine Motor activities:
- Squeeze, roll, pinch play-doh, silly putty, theraputty.
- Hide small pegs in the play-doh, silly putty, theraputty for the student to find.
- Pick up small items with tweezers or clothespins (can make it a race).
- Perform activities like small pegs in a board.
- Travel games like Don’t Wake Daddy, Trouble, Connect four etc.
- Games like battleship.
Hand strengthening exercises
Instructions: Perform each of the exercise several times a week.
1. Squeeze a squeeze ball/putty/play-doh 10-20 times in each hand.
2 Roll the putty into a snake and then pinch. Pinch with one finger at a time (you can pair the ring and small finger). Perform 2-5 times.
3.. Roll play-doh/putty into a ball and then push flat. Perform 5-10 times.
4. Roll the putty into a snake and wrap around your fingers. Then try to pull your fingers apart. Perform 5-10 times.
5. Place the putty between each finger and squeeze it. Perform 5-10 times.
6. Roll small pieces of putty into balls with the tips of the fingers x10.