Honors Spanish IV Course Expectations
Instructor: Andrea Hartle
Phone: (973) 593- 3117 Extension 7730
Web Page: From the Madison High School webpage, select Teachers, select Hartle
World Languages Office Location: F-43
Course Description: The Spanish IV course emphasizes communication by applying interpersonal, interpretive, and presentational skills to real-life situations. This includes vocabulary usage, language control, communication strategies, and cultural awareness. The Spanish IV course strives not to overemphasize grammatical accuracy at the expense of communication. To best facilitate the study of language and culture, the course is taught almost exclusively in Spanish.
Materials: Please bring the following materials to class every day.
- Binder with loose leaf paper or notebook and folder
- Pen and pencil
- Dry Erase marker
- Chrome book
Classroom Guidelines and Procedures:
- Please treat each person in this room with respect and dignity.
- Please enter quietly. Be in your assigned seat and working on the assigned bell work “Para empezar” when the bell rings.
- Please place cell phones(silenced) in the assigned cell phone holder as you enter the classroom. Chromebooks are to be used in specific circumstances. Unless you have an Individualized Education Plan, you are to use the chromebooks only when asked by the teacher. Notes are done by hand.
- Be responsible and hand in assigned work in a timely manner. If you are having an issue with a project, please let me know ahead of time. Do NOT wait until the day before the project is due; I will not make exceptions.
- This is a total immersion classroom. No English is permitted.
- Please follow all procedures and policies as outlined in the Madison High School student handbook.
All grading will be based on a points system. Each assignment will be allotted a certain number of points you can potentially earn. These assignments include tests, quizzes, listening assessments, oral assessments, projects, written assessments, homework, in-class assignments, and integrated performance assessments. Grades are calculated by dividing the total points earned by the total points possible.
Classes will communicate primarily through google classroom. I will provide you with an access code, granting you entry to the class. Students are responsible to check daily for homework assignmentsand/or other information pertaining to our class.
Late Work and Make-up Policy:
No late work will be accepted unless handed in after an excused absence. Make-up work may be handed in one day late per each day absent. You will be given sufficient time and notification to complete both of your homework assignments and projects by their designated due dates.
If you are absent or happen to miss a class for any reason, it is YOUR responsibility to check with me for any missed materials. Please check in with me for any missed notes or tests/quizzes. Failure to make up a test or quiz will result in a zero.
Class Participation: Students will be expected to use Spanish in class. The use of English will result in loss of points. A positive attitude, a willingness to learn, and daily preparation are also important parts of your class participation grade. Students are expected to be present and participate each day.
Teacher Availability: I am available for extra help during tutorial on "A days" during common lunch in F-47. I am also available before school and after school by appointment. You can find me in room F-47 or in the World Language Office (F-43).