Physical Education Grading System
Madison High School
Health and Physical Education
Health & Physical Education
Policies & Grading System
Physical Education Rules, Regulations and Expectations
- Students are required to attend all scheduled meetings for Health & Physical Education. Health & Physical Education classes are not to be used as a study hall periods where work for other academic classes is made up or completed.
- Students are not permitted to remain with or go to another teacher for extra help during a Health and Physical Education class. Health and Physical Education teachers will not permit students to leave their class to see another teacher. Additionally, students unprepared for Physical Education will not be permitted to leave the gymnasium area to go to another section of the school.
- Tardiness – As per the Madison High School Student Handbook Attendance Policy, three (3) late(s) will equal one (1) absence. Each time a student arrives late to class, 3.5 points will be deducted from his/her grade.
- Cuts- Any student charged with cutting a class will receive an absence for the period(s) missed and will be assessed 11 points from their class average for each recorded cut. Please note that upon the 4th recorded cut the student will lose credit for that class as per the Madison High School Attendance Policy set forth in the Student Handbook.
- All students are required by the State of New Jersey’s Department of Education to pass four (4) years of physical education in order to be eligible for high school graduation.
- All students are required to participate in physical education class. Students are required to demonstrate proficiencies in the various skill sets associated with each unit. Students will be graded on their effort, improvement and overall ability to actively participate in planned activities.
Physical Education Attire
- Students are expected to change for physical education class on the days when their physical education classes meet.
- A change of clothes is defined as clothing other than what the student wore to school and will wear after physical education class.
- Proper physical education attire should consist of t-shirt, athletic shorts, socks and sneakers. Students should keep sweat pants and sweat shirts in their physical education locker for cooler weather. LEGGINGS ARE NOT TO BE WORN BY STUDENTS FOR PE CLASS.
- Students are required to wear sneakers during physical education class.
- Students are not permitted to wear school issued uniforms during physical education class.
Locker Room & Lockers
- All students are required to change for physical education in the physical education locker room only. No students are permitted in the varsity locker rooms during the school day. Those students involved in an interscholastic sport are expected to have a separate physical education locker. No exceptions will be made.
- Students are expected to have a combination lock or key lock for their locker. The locker number and combination/spare key should be submitted to the physical education teacher at the beginning of each school year and semester.
- All valuable items should be locked in the student’s physical education locker during physical education class.
- Any athlete wishing to drop off equipment to the varsity locker room must due so prior to 7:45am. The varsity locker room will not re-open until 2:30pm each school day.
- In the event that a student has lost points in physical education as a result of absences, lack of participation, excessive tardiness, unprepared for physical education class or behavior, they will have the opportunity to raise their grade through P.E. Make-ups.
- Students must meet a physical education teacher during one of the designated Physical Education Tutorial periods. Students may also make arrangements to attend Zero Period for a make-up.
- Make-up is 1.5 miles (6 laps) on the track. An individual may ride 6 miles on the stationary bicycle providing the supervising teacher determines that the track is not an option as a result of inclement weather.
- Each make-up is worth 5.5 points
- Students are permitted to complete a maximum of (4) P.E. Make-ups totaling 22 points
- Students that have a legitimate medical excuse should present the school nurse with a medical doctor’s note. Any student that has an approved medical doctor’s note excusing them from physical education will be excused from participating in physical education. For extended periods of time, the students must complete an assignment in order to receive credit. Please see the Medical Excuse from Physical Education Policy for details.
- Any student receiving an excuse from the nurse's office without a doctor's note will be considered unexcused from PE and will be required to complete a make up assignment.
- Any student that has been excused from physical education by a doctor must have a doctor’s note clearing them to return to physical education prior to returning to class.
- Any athlete that has been excused from physical education class as a result of an injury or illness will not be eligible to participate in a practice or game/meet/competition.
- Each student will begin each marking period will 100 points. Points will be deducted from the students grade for the following:
- Arriving late to class - 3.5 points deducted
- Unprepared for class - 11 points deducted
- Lack of effort and participation - 5.5 points deducted
- Insubordination - 11 points deducted and no make up permiteed (ie: violating school security policies)
- Cutting class - 11 points deducted and no make up permitted