Madison Public School Community Members,
I hope this message finds you healthy and well as we approach the last month of school. The following updates include important messages pertaining to school operations and district efforts to ensure that Madison Public Schools is a fully inclusive community where students of all backgrounds and identities can flourish. Please read the following closely.
MPS expresses solidarity with our Asian students and families.
Recent acts of violence against Asian Americans across our country are deeply troubling. We are so grateful for our Asian students and families and want to ensure that all Dodgers who identify as Asian may have confidence that their heritages are celebrated and their wellbeing is protected in our schools. If you or anyone you know has been affected by any type of bias or discrimination related to school, including anti-Asian bias, please reach out to a trusted school member, such as a teacher, guidance counsellor, or school administrator. Our staff will treat these types of matters with the utmost confidentiality and care using a restorative approach when responding to incidents. If you observe discrimination that is unrelated to school, please contact the police department.
The May 12, 2021 Superintendent Coffee recording addresses District Goal Efforts for 2021-22 and beyond.
Please take a moment to listen to last week’s Coffee. The public participation portions of such meetings sometimes run long, but the information sharing portion at the beginning usually only takes 30-45 minutes. This week’s meeting focused on district efforts toward equity, inclusion, and individualized support for all students.
Our region’s CALI report remains at “Moderate Risk,” trending toward “Low Risk.”
As rates decline and more individuals become vaccinated, Federal and State guidance has become increasingly challenging to follow. To provide clarity regarding the current state of safety procedures at MPS, the following clarifications are being provided:
- All MPS staff and students (vaccinated and unvaccinated) must continue wearing masks on school grounds, unless participating in a mask break with social distancing in place, or unless doing so would be harmful to the individual's health.
- Vaccinated individuals no longer need to quarantine after close contact exposure or after travel outside of the immediate region (see the NJ Travel Advisory for clarifications).
- While rated at “Low Risk” or Moderate Risk,” quarantine periods for unvaccinated individuals will be reduced to 10 days after the period of exposure (previous periods were 14 days (see NJDOH Guidance for details).
- All parents are still required to submit the daily health screener for their child every school day.
- Unvaccinated individuals should not attend in-door gatherings when mask wearing, ventilation, and distancing are not in place.
- Do not send an unvaccinated child to school if someone in your household is sick or has been exposed to someone with COVID-19 - If this occurs, call your school nurse for guidance.
Take Five Briefings are available as a summary of outcomes for each Board meeting.
In order to ensure that the community may stay informed regarding important Board of Education actions, the district produces the Take Five Briefing and emails it to all parents shortly after each Board meeting. If you are interested in being more involved with the schools, reviewing the Take Five Briefings archive is a great way to catch up on recent events. This week’s briefing includes important reminders and updates regarding the 2021-22 school year calendar.
Thank you for taking the time to read all of this information and for joining our efforts to make Madison Public Schools a universally inviting place for all students, families and staff members. Stay healthy and Madison Strong.
- Mon, May 31 - SCHOOLS CLOSED for Memorial Day
- Tues, June 1 - SCHOOLS CLOSED for Unused Snow Day
- Tues, June 1 - Special Board Meeting for Personnel Matters, 7pm
- Wed, June 2 - SCHOOLS CLOSED for Staff In-Service Day
- Tues, June 15 - Board of Education Meeting, 7pm
- Wed, June 16 - Superintendent Coffee, 7pm
- Fri, June 18 - Last Day of School / MJS Promotion / MHS Graduation